Monday, June 4, 2012

Religion in Ghana

Brief disclaimer: I apologize if I have stated anything inaccurate about particular people in this post. I'm trying only to describe my experiences and perceptions, and I hope I have not accidentally said anything to offend anyone on this somewhat delicate topic. It's also quite long, so kudos if you make it all the way through.


Ghana is a very religious country. To my knowledge, it’s not institutionalized in any way, and officially there is religious freedom, but most people are some variant of Christian. And if they aren’t Christian, they’re probably Muslim.

I am not Christian. In the US, this has never been a cause for alarm for anyone that I know, or at least, any alarm that has been felt has never been expressed to me. My exploration of religious beliefs started a long time ago, is quite convoluted, and is still unfinished. I have trouble articulating exactly what I believe, and no currently defined religions, to my knowledge, exactly match me. But I’ll get into that later.

When I arrived in Ghana, it was with a group of Unitarian Universalists, or UUs. We were visiting children the UU church is financially supporting, their schools, and the Queen Mothers of the Lower Manya Krobo district who oversee much of the day-to-day business of the project. Although we discussed how our work in Ghana related to our values, it had little bearing on us otherwise during that week. The children struggled to pronounce the name and probably did not understand what it meant, just that they were being financially supported. The only people who asked us about our church and our faith were local expats, and the questions were a lot like what I've heard in the US.

This is the “church” (I use quotes both because it does not fall within most peoples’ ideas of churches, but also because many groups of UUs choose not to use that term for their congregations/fellowships/societies/etc) that I grew up in. My family first started attending when I was five or six years old, having heard about it from the parents of one of my classmates. My parents, who had both been raised in Christian households, had not felt the same connection to the Christian faith and became Quakers in their early adult life, and had a Quaker wedding ceremony. When they moved to California, however, whether because of me or because they did not find a fellowship that they liked, or something else (feel free to chime in her, Mom and Dad), they were not active in the Quaker society. But when introduced to Unitarian Universalism, they found that the ideas matched their own and quickly found a spiritual home among the members of the congregation.

As a child, it mattered little to me where I went to church. I didn’t really understand that it was different. I started with a belief in heaven and hell and God the Almighty, but over the years I became skeptical. I remember being shocked when my mom told me her beliefs when I was about six or seven, and effectively described herself as agnostic, with a belief that “God is in all of us” (I remember this part exactly) but I think meaning something similar to what I have come to believe, that there is some sort of energy, or life force, that moves through all people and all things, but is not a separate, omniscient entity.

But let’s come back for a moment to the concepts of Unitarian Universalism, which did not in any way proscribe that I give up a belief in heaven, hell, and God the Almighty, and instead only offered me the opportunity to explore other ideas. The seven core principles, which I was taught repeatedly as a child and have internalized in how I view the world, are given below. These concepts have so become part of who I am that even though I took an approximately 10 year hiatus from the UU church, when I read them again during my recent re-exploration of religion, I was stunned that they matched my feelings so well. As stated on my convenient description card, which I have taken to carrying with me everywhere, they are:

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote:
The inherent worth and dignity of every person
The living tradition we share draws from many sources:
Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations
Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life
Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love
A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life
The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves
The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part
Spiritual teaching of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.

For me personally, the first and last carry the most weight. These two principles best describe the resulting respect that is due to all things because of this life force that I believe moves through all things. These are the ones I focus on in my life, although the rest generally fall into place because of them.

This past semester, I took a class on Asian religions and ecology. In the public health school, the potential role of religious organizations for promoting healthy behavior had come up in several classes, I was feeling a need to explore religion again, and whether because I grew up in the UU tradition or because I grew up in the eco-hippie dense San Francisco bay area or a combination of both, I was also feeling a need to tie it all in to ecology and ways of preserving our environment. After spending last summer in Vietnam and seeing the complete lack of care for the environment that is pervasive in the community there, and at the time I chose my classes still planning to go back, I was particularly intrigued by the fact that the class was about Asian religions. I’d also felt most closely connected with the Asian religions that I’d learned about in my younger years, and wanted to learn more.

The class, and the concepts I learned from each religion, forced me to think a lot about my own beliefs. I reconsidered the Christian idea of God. I contemplated Hindu deities, the Buddha, and the Dao. Each time we came to a new religion I thought “Aha! Now this is what I’ve believed all along!” until I got to the next and that more closely matched. That was true until the very last – Daoism – which came right after Confucianism. I think I’m some mesh of the two, so maybe China is where I would find the most people like me. The idea of the Dao is that which cannot be named but moves through all things and provides the impetus for the development of consciousness in humans. It is something akin to God, although it is not ascribed any awareness. It simply is. “He who names the Dao does not know the Dao.” I agree with many of the teachings in the classical and infamous text, the Dao de jing (Tao te ching, etc.), which speak of caution, simplicity, and kindness.

From Confucianism I draw the beliefs in the importance of education and careful thought, that striving for learning leads to better understanding and powerful, stable elevation within society. To be sure, there are other ways to get to the top, but the ways of Confucian benevolence will get you to a stable point of power, one that will not suddenly crumble. Develop loyalty and all will want to follow; use force and when the opportunity arises, all will turn against you. But my favorite Confucian text is called the Western Inscription. It was hung on the western wall of the scholar Zhang Zai as a reminder of the things to follow in life. I have abridged it to focus on the parts that have the most impact on me, and I have been meaning to paint it onto a canvas and hang it on the western wall of my own room in New Haven. This is my edited version:

Heaven is my Father
and Earth is my Mother,
and even such small creatures as we
find intimate shelter in their embrace.

Therefore that which fills the universe
I regard as my own body,
and that which directs the universe
I consider as my own nature.

All people are my brothers and sisters,
and all things are my companions.

Honoring those who are advanced in years
is to treat the elderly as elderly should be treated.
To be kind to the orphaned and weak
is to treat the young as the young should be treated.

All persons in the world who are tired, crippled, sick,
or who are brotherless, childless, widows or widowers
are my own siblings who have become helpless
and have none to whom they can appeal.
To care for them at such times
is the practice of a good child.

Wealth, honor, blessings and benefits
are meant for the enrichment of my life;
while poverty, humble status, worries and sorrows
are meant to help me find fulfillment.

In life I follow and serve Heaven and Earth;
In death I will be at peace.

I’ve sort of glossed over it up to this point, but growing up UU meant that I was introduced to all of the major world religions. On Sunday mornings, while other little children were taught bible stories exclusively and our parents listened to sermons about doing good in the world, my peers and I were taught the basics of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. We visited other places of worship as a part of this exploration – the fourth UU principle given above – and were left to determine for ourselves what we thought the truth of life was. I’ve never felt shortchanged, but I never really firmly established beliefs. I think I just looked at it as unknowable. This past semester, during my re-exploration, I found certain texts that I agreed with, but came to similar conclusions.

But that’s not a sufficient for Ghana. Once I was on my own, people started asking me questions about my religion.

In a country where just about everyone believes in God, if you say you don’t, you need to be able to explain yourself. I’m not very good at it. People express a concern for my soul, and try to convince me that God exists by asking who created me, where I came from. I’ve taken to politely turning the question around and asking where God came from and stating simply that the idea of an omniscient creator does not make sense to me.

I’ve been asked what I think when I see people praying, singing hymns, reading the bible. My honest answer, which I have said, is that I think if it is important to the person doing it, then it is important to do. And I don’t rule out the possibility of an omniscient deity, it just doesn’t quite fit with my own perception of the world. I could be wrong. The other thing I tell people is that for me it doesn’t matter – I live my life under the same principles, practicing generosity when I can and kindness toward others; I am practically incapable of lying (which is somewhat problematic when people ask me about my relationship status, but that’s a story for another post) and I see theft of any sort as wrong. I think I live very morally, regardless of whose definition is used, and I cannot believe in the existence of a judgmental deity so strict that living as a good person but failing to have faith would prevent me from whatever eternal salvation may exist. I believe compassion and the way we treat others is of paramount importance, and not just for the potential eventual judgment day. Cultivating that attitude within oneself leads to honest and true relationships with other people that are based on trust and integrity and not easily broken, and our lives are completely dependent on how we interact with others. Judgment does not only come from the almighty but from all around us. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    Thanks for the thoughtful essay. Spiritual journeys are probably never finished.

    Anyway, here is the bit of history of our path from the Religious Society of Friends in Iowa City to the UU Church in San Mateo.

    Barbara and I joined the Iowa City Friends Meeting before we were married. We were married under the care of the Meeting and we were active through 1988, when we moved to California. Given traditional Quaker practices, you’re a “birthright” Friend, as compared to a “convinced” member.

    We attended the Palo Alto Friends Meeting many times, but we found the activities very Palo Alto centric and we looked for a spiritual home closer to our house in San Mateo. When you were in kindergarten, we met Jim and Val Laffoon and they invited us to visit UU San Mateo. We found UUSM compatible with our beliefs. For years, I described myself as a Quaker who had joined a UU Church. It is only recently that I have taken to simply saying, “I am a Unitarian Universalist.”

    The Quaker value consistent with many of your ideas is there is that of God in everyone. Or, as George Fox said, “Walk cheerfully over the world answering that of God in everyone.”

    John Woolman said, “There is a principle, which is pure, placed in the human mind, which in different places and ages hath had different names. It is, however, pure and proceeds from God. It is deep and inward, confined to no forms of religion nor excluded from anywhere the heart stands in perfect sincerity.”

    John Woolman is an awesome role model. He advocated against cruelty to animals, economic injustices and oppression, military draft and taxation. He was especially active in slavery and the slave trade. He convinced slaveholders to release their slaves.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really interesting to read.

    I had a sort of similar experience in high school when I went to Mexico for a small student exchange. Although in that case it was more my ignorance of Catholicism that got me in trouble. I think everyone just assumed that I must believe in God. But I got dirty looks when I asked about the stations of the cross and revealed that I knew nothing about the most basic bible stories.

    When the principal of the school asked which saint my high school back in America was associated with, I finally understood how different our cultures were. I sort of bluffed my way through that conversation and tried to stay off the topic in the future.

    Good luck navigating this more in Ghana. It can be really hard when your beliefs don't match up to what the people around you expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao; The name that can be named is not the eternal Name." That's the opening line of the version of the Tao Te Ching that I chose to study in my second year of grad school for the course in Psychology East and West. When I read this I knew that I had found a philosophy that expressed what I believed about the mystery of life that some prefer to deify. It does not limit my concept of what is sacred like the concept of "God" that I grew-up with. It was an "aha" moment for me because it was my introduction to eastern religions and to the realization that others believed as I did. I was brought to tears (as I often am when I get emotional)as I read your blog, realizing that the same words had rang true for you as well. I feel that the 1st (inherent worth and dignity of all) and 7th (interconnected web of all existence)principles are a natural extension of this, and they are what I base my life on. You grew-up in an environment that gave you freedom to find your own spiritual path, that made you responsible for exploring and discerning what held meaning for you. Now you are in a different culture where there is an expectation that you see God in a certain way, where what you believe causes suspicion in others, pity for you at times, and perhaps even disdain from some. I grew-up in an environment where I felt that, and sometimes I feel a sense of that when I visit. Giving up on a god who punishes non-believers, who can intervene in times of need, and who is in charge of determining your destiny after death is too scary for many people, and they often have a desire to help you see the true way (their way). I am glad that you have the opportunity to further clarify what you believe because of the challenges presented by the culture that surrounds you. Remember to remain open to what Christianity and the Muslim traditions have to teach you.

    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several years ago when you were visiting us in So Cal, somehow we got on the discussion of religion and I asked you if you believed in God and you said no. I don't know that I would describe my reaction as "alarmed" but I was definitely surprised. I think you articulate your beliefs better than you think and I wish you much success and peace in your spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete