Friday, March 8, 2013

Snowstorm Saturn to Scorching Sunshine

Well, I haven't really updated this like I'd planned to. It's been quite a busy semester.

TOMORROW we are off! At the disgustingly early time of 4am. I won't be doing much tonight.

The project my group has focused on is a tippy-tap and latrine survey. Tippy-taps are simple hand-washing stations that minimize the amount of water needed while keeping the process free of contamination. Several were installed by previous iterations of the class as well as the host organization, and we want to see if they're still in good condition.

We've also done a little bit of work trying to connect them with an engineer (and/or money) to help them get a new rainwater catchment system (called an impluvium) after their last one broke. But we haven't had a whole lot of luck with that.

Mostly, though, I think the trip is going to be information gathering. It's been a bit of a struggle trying to figure out what they actually would like from us and what we can do in our limited time. So we'll go take a look around, talk to people, and come back with a better idea of what future groups can do.

In less than 36 hours, I will be in Haiti. But today, I get a farewell snowstorm.


See ya, Saturn, I'm shipping off to sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment