Monday, June 24, 2013

I'm gonna have to start over.

The weather got hot. It made me a little crazy. Between last weekend (traveling to DC, visiting with friends, Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ festival) and this weekend (lots of friends in town, birthday celebrations) I fell pretty hard off of the Paleo bandwagon. I wanted to drink. I wanted delicious cocktails while sitting outside in the beautiful weather, I wanted to sample all of the bourbons that were available, and I wanted cheese. Oh, how I was craving cheese.

So I crashed. I'm starting over. I'm sure I can make it 30 days, I just need to have more of a plan in place. And I need to not have prepaid temptations.

The hot weather makes it tough. When it's hot, I don't want to cook. All I want is ice cream. Or fro-yo. Or iced coffee (with milk). But I just started an online nutrition class through Coursera, so I'm hoping that will keep me more mindful. Granted, I'm sure the class will tell me that I SHOULD eat dairy, grains, and legumes, but I'm just going to ignore that. I'm not the only Paleo person taking it, so we can have our own little discussion threads.

But anyway, my other ways to conquer the heat are pre-made meals (remember that shepherd's pie I wrote about a few weeks ago? I still have a few servings of that) and fruit. Glorious fruit. I bought half of a watermelon and blended some of it up with some mint and made no-sugar added popsicles. The rest of it I chopped into cubes to make frozen watermelon bites. I also saved some of the blended stuff for a refreshing mid-afternoon treat. Blueberries are also make awesome little frozen morsels of goodness, and my local grocery store had a sale on them, so I stocked up. I also stocked up on greens, for those quick, no-fuss salads, some chicken for grilling (I bought a mini-grill, too!) and I have pork in the slow cooker.

Watermelon and mint juice!

Slow cookers are the best. They don't heat the house but you can still get cooked meat out of them. Prep is usually pretty easy and then you just walk away and let it do its thing. And then you come back several hours later and viola! Delicious is waiting.

I had a seasoning blend that I had picked up at the store a few weeks ago, and the larger half of an 8lb pork shoulder that I'd just pulled out of the freezer. I dry rubbed it and marinated it overnight, then it went in this morning. Can't wait to try it!

Soooooooo delicious!

(Apologies for the low quality pictures. I have to use my phone now, cause my other camera finally kicked the bucket.)

1 comment:

  1. It's funny you should say this. I'm not attempting a paleo diet in any way, but summer is probably the time of year that I'm closest to one. During the cooler months I'm all about the fast, processed, comfort food. Chicken pot pies and mac'n'cheese and such. But in the summer, when we can grill, we're eating meat and veggies more often than not.

    Good luck sticking with it this time around.

    ReplyDelete