Monday, June 3, 2013

The First Two Days and Looking Ahead

I survived brunch. I drank my coffee black, I ordered a salad instead of fries or hash browns, and I asked for no cheese on my omelet. The omelet showed up with cheese anyway, but it was something I could scrape off. Eggs might have had milk in them... oh well. I'm starting out.

Dinner was a tomato ragu of ground beef, mushrooms, and onion, served over spaghetti squash. I've been a pasta lover all my life, so eliminating it has been one of my saddest losses. I compensate with spaghetti squash and thin sliced yellow and green squashes. Although the texture isn't quite the same, it's a pretty good substitute.

And yeah, I only ate two meals. I did some late night snacking - an apple, some sunflower seeds, and some pitted dried dates (probably ate too many of those... oops).

I was going to get up early today, start creating a consistent schedule for myself that started my day with a workout, and then led into job hunting and working on this blog and teaching myself French. Why do I need to learn French? Because I want to be in international health, and French seems to be an important language to know. Plus, although I'm not really ethnically French (when it comes to country of origin, the number of French ancestors is way down the list, below the 2% Dutch), I do have a French last name and that always makes me feel like I should be able to speak it.

Anyway, kind of failed at getting up early. But I restarted the job search process. Cover letters kind of suck. And I got a response to the email I sent last week asking about a potential short term position which would send me to Tanzania (it's still on the table, yay!). I also made it to the gym and did a pretty solid workout. We have two levels of workout, mostly related to the skill needed for the movements, and I've been debating jumping up to the higher level for quite a while, but because of how irregularly I've been going and some shoulder pain I was having a couple weeks ago, I've delayed it. But I did comparatively very well at this workout, my shoulder is feeling better, and I'm definitely getting stronger, so I think I'll switch next week! Check out my new picture, too - yes, that's my pull-up!

I'm working on a post about gluten. Hopefully I can get that up tomorrow.

Oh and how's the new look? The background is a stock photo courtesy of Blogger, but it seemed fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment