Sunday, June 9, 2013

Triathlon complete! (And I got a medal)

Today has been a very good day. It's not over yet, I know, but I can't really see it turning sour.

It started off maybe less than ideally; I only got 5 hours of sleep last night... probably due to a combination of anticipation of the race and the fact that I tried to go to sleep 5 hours earlier than I have been. Hmm. Should probably readjust my sleep schedule. Despite being awake absurdly early, I got a bit of a slow start this morning, but we got on the road by 6:10, bikes loaded into my friend's bike rack (on my car) and sherpa roommate curled up in the backseat. I owe her big time.

I was really glad to have my more experienced friend there with me to kind of walk through all the steps with me. And to recommend that, because I used to swim competitively, I wanted to be in the front of our wave. AND to lend me her spare pair of goggles after I realized I forgot mine (oops!).

The triathlon was fairly small, so although we were in different age groups, we were in the same heat and started at the same time. The water was chilly but manageable without a wetsuit (I don't own one) but was a terrible murky brown. The goggles were nice to keep the salt water out, but they certainly didn't help me see! I didn't see the results that my friend did, but apparently I came out of the water 43rd overall - including the two men's waves that started 3 and 6 minutes ahead of us. My friend was either the 2nd or 3rd woman out of the water (I forget what she said) and I think I was about a minute behind her.

I understand much better now why people practice transitions. I didn't bother drying my feet and just yanked on my socks and shoes as quickly as I could, stuffed snacks into the sports bra part of my top so I could refuel for the run, and I felt like it took forever. In reality, I think it was 1.5-2 minutes, but I'm sure people with a few triathlons under their belts do it MUCH faster.

The ride was 14.4 miles, and although it was challenging at times (a little more hilly than I anticipated), I made it through okay. The only problem was that the water bottle I had, which I bought yesterday, kept squirting water sideways... so I didn't get the chance to rehydrate on the ride like I'd planned. Next time I'll be sure to test the seal BEFORE the race starts.

I think my bike to run transition was faster than the first one, but my legs felt like Jello for the first mile of the run. I just kept telling myself to just keep on jogging, even when it seemed like walking might be faster. I didn't have a watch to check my pace, so it was more about just pushing through and finishing the race the way I wanted to. After the first mile my legs went from Jello to lead, so it was definitely a struggle, but I'm glad I've gotten a few longer runs in and tried out one bike to run workout before; I think those were essential in convincing myself that I could keep going.

I just about collapsed at the end. As soon as I crossed the finish line the painful jogging stopped, and I stumbled my way the next 100 feet to the water table. I was so exhausted that for a minute I just rested, leaning on the table. I was tempted to do what I have often done at CrossFit and just collapse on the floor, but that might have attracted unnecessary medical attention. I regained my composure, grabbed some water, and met up with my racer friend and my roommate. We grabbed food and were about to head out when we happened to glance at the table where they were setting up the awards. My friend had gotten 2nd in her age group, and I pulled off 3rd in mine! And I'll have to see what the official results say, but I think my Jello and lead-filled legs might have actually carried me through a 5k time at the end that was faster than the road race 5k I did in March.

My friend and I, post race, with our medals!

And now I'm eating everything in my path. I figure it is recovery time, so that means lots of food and water. I fueled the event itself with Larabars and dried figs (nature's equivalent of Clif Blocks, which my friend opted for), and went in a desperate search for protein afterward, but I'm caving to the carb cravings and eating half a sweet potato (still Paleo!) now.

Although this is getting long, I have one more key point that makes this day awesome. On my way home, I started craving something junk food-y, and I couldn't quite figure out what it was. Turns out it was Cooler Ranch Doritos, but I figured this out after throwing together my dinner, because the spice combination is similar. So I stay Paleo, deal with the craving, AND get a delicious meal.

Triple win to finish a triply exhausting day!

1 comment:

  1. WOW...Is there anything you CAN'T do?!? You are amazing Jen...I'm very proud of you and not really surprised at all at how you placed. Congrats on finishing your first of many races I'm sure!

    sabrina

    ReplyDelete