Sunday, June 2, 2013

This blog is about to get a serious remodel.

So far, it's been all about my travels. That's great, and I love travel blogging (although I don't seem to be very good at following through and posting things from the end of my trips), but I don't have any exciting trips planned for now. So I'm going to embark on a very different kind of journey, and I think blogging about it will help keep me on track.

I think most of you know that I've been doing CrossFit now for about 5 months. It was the jumpstart I needed to get back in shape, but I definitely haven't hit my end goal yet. Or even my short term goals. Actually, I did hit one. A few weeks ago I did an unassisted pull-up for the FIRST TIME IN 15 YEARS. Baller. I did it right before one of my workouts, and it gave me a huge rush. And no one saw it. Literally no one. So a week later I did a couple more single pull-ups to show my roommate. She believed me, of course, but I needed to have someone else see it. I almost didn't believe it myself.

So anyway, back to what's going to happen with this blog. I've decided to join my CrossFit gym's Paleo Challenge that starts today. I'll post later today or tomorrow about what this entails in more detail, but the brief overview is that I'm putting myself on a very limited diet for the next 30 days. To the casual observer, it kind of sounds crazy, but hey, it's only 30 days. I'm also planning to do a little of my own background research and talk about some of the concepts of the Paleo diet that most people don't buy into, so I'll have posts about why gluten is bad for a lot of people, why soy and corn are horrible, why even though I love cheese, I am avoiding dairy. I put together a short list of topics while I was at the intro talk yesterday, and I'll be combing through blogs and books for other ideas.

I'm also using the blog to help hold me accountable. The theme for this round of the Paleo Challenge is "your mother isn't here to take care of you, so take care of yourself". It's much less strict than what they've done in the past. There are no teams, no before and after measurements, no weigh-ins. We're supposed to have partners to help keep us on track, but I don't really know that many people, and I get super awkward and shy when I think other people know each other better than I know them. So at this point, I'm in it on my own. I'm using this blog as my displaced partner. If anyone wants to be a long-distance Paleo Challenge buddy, let me know.

I'm heading off now to my first challenge - brunch at a restaurant. Breakfast is one of the easier meals to eat at a restaurant while staying Paleo, but there's still usually cheese and butter to think about. And so much delicious temptation.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Is this going to be rough at the BBBBBBBBBBBBBBQ? I guess there's mostly meat so that shouldn't be too bad, but what about the other Bs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.... I'm gonna deal with that when it arrives. I'm definitely gonna stay away from beer, but I might need to sample some of the Bourbon anyway. We'll see. It'll be fun either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, Jen! Writing about my progress with the C25K challenge definitely helped me. Especially when I felt like I was getting nowhere and could look back and see all the progress I'd actually made. Good luck meeting all your goals.

    And I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are some gluten-free beers at the BBBBQ. I know they make those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Sissy!
    You should post what you eat, too.
    Also, food pictures are exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Jen! Good luck with the challenge! I'd be your partner but I don't think I could give up the beer. ;)
    ~Jen G.

    ReplyDelete